I am in love with pesto, always have been and always will be. There is only one difficulty which I face, and i know a lot of others are with me on this one too. That problem? The sick feeling post pesto. Gets me every single time. Even when avoiding gluten, it creeps up on me – so I decided to create a recipe that would agree with my mind and my stomach! Hello Vegan & Gluten free pesto!
We all know the repeat offenders all too well. Gluten, dairy and sugar – but now they all gone! So now you can enjoy this guilt free and pain/discomfort free!
So, whats the secret? It lies with Nutritional Yeast, an ingredient which can be found in your local health store. Nutritional yeast smells, tastes and even looks like cheese, more so similar to a parmesan kind! I find it so useful to use in place of cheese, especially when my body isn’t agreeing with it or is overloaded with other lactose/dairy sources. Nutritional yeast is really great for protein and iron, making it a viable substitute for vegans and vegetarians alike (don’t confuse this for your B12 intake, some brands will have it and others wont, and even still, please seek professional assistance with this!).
Then the cream – oh the cream. Full fat with plenty of dairy, the perfect substitute stands out clear as coconut cream! Not only does it offer the same rich and creamy consistency, it also gives it a unique flavour which personally, makes me weak at the knees.
If you have recently eliminated food groups out of your diet, this is the perfect recipe for you. If you can still tolerate cheese, substitute in equal quantities of parmesan (but still give the coconut cream a go!) and same goes for pasta, add it in if you like! The pesto itself takes about 1 minute to make and is 10x better than the store bought/nasty-filled version and then the dish itself takes about 10-15 minutes – so enjoy!
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 3 kale stalks, de-stemmed and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup cashews, toasted
- ½ cup organic olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (or parmesan)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor, starting first with the leafy greens and then mix until well combined.
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ head of a medium broccoli, finely sliced
- 5 stalks kale, de-stemmed and rinsed
- 1 zucchini, made into ribbons with a regular peeler
- 1 cup of nut milk (I prefer coconut milk, but take your pick!)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gluten free pasta (optional)
- Prepare gluten free pasta as per instructions (if applicable)
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and then sauté onion and garlic
- Add whatever greens you have chosen – broccoli, kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts
- Once above is all heated and slightly cooked, add in roughly 3 tablespoons of pesto (more if you want a more intense flavor) and stir through
- Add nut milk of choice and continue to stir until bubbling on top
- Mix through drained pasta, mix well, squeeze over lemon + season to taste with salt and pepper
Let me know how you go! x