This is the perfect alternative to a sugar and carb filled bolognaise that you may usually regard as a ‘treat’ – feel free to now enjoy it daily!
I adapted this recipe from my beautiful room mate, who has taught me some delicious recipes of hers in the short time we have lived together! I am always, 100% open to learning new things, especially when it comes to food! There is so much to be taught and learnt in this field and its great to gain knowledge and recipes from those around you!
This dish is a regular favourite for my room mate, who loves her baked beans and baked potato but loves even more to put a healthy spin on it! She uses the beans recipe for breakfast but also to top a baked sweet potato with a side of spinach, avocado and Greek yoghurt – your ultimately healthy-fied comfort meal!
Vegan & GF ‘Spaghetti Bolognaise’
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. organic olive oil
- 1 tsp. organic dried basil flakes (or a handful of fresh basil would be even better!)
- 1 tsp. organic dried oregano
- 1 tsp. organic dried paprika (if you like a bit of spice!)
- 1 can organic kidney beans (rinsed)
- 1 can organic whole/diced tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 1 zucchini, peeled into strips
- Sauté onion, garlic and herbs with the olive oil in a non-stick pan until aromatic and the onion is transparent
- Add the kale and continue to sauté until leaves start to go soft
- Add beans and tomato and stir through thoroughly
- While mixture is heating, peel zucchini with a veggie peeler to make ribbon like pasta strips
- Here you can either add through zucchini or serve the Bolognaise on top of the raw zucchini ribbons – its up to you!
- Season with organic pink/sea salt and pepper
If you love a cheesy taste, add a sprinkle of Nutritional Yeast (its Vegan appropriate!)
Keep your eyes peeled for future recipes to feature this Bolognaise 😉