Ohhhh its getting chilly up in Brisbane and its definitely time to start those warmer breakfasts! There comes a time (and it comes quickly) where oats are too over done, too generic and not what you want to wake too, no matter how fancy they are! So get in quick and mix things up before it all gets to boring – with buckwheat!
I know it says ‘wheat’ in the name but rest assured, its definitely not going to send your tummy into a spasm. Buckwheat isnt a grass and is actually related to the rhubarb (how interesting?!). So its a great grain if your tummy also cant withstand the oats!
You can prepare buckwheat just as you do porridge, on the stove top or microwave. The only difference is that this almighty seed requires a lot more liquid as its super absorbent! It has a nutty like taste which is perfectly complemented with some almond milk, cinnamon and/or some superfood chocolate of course!
The IsoWhey Wholefoods Superfood Powders range are perfect for providing that extra nutritional hit to Winter breakfasts! Its definitely too cold for fruit salads so its super important to make sure your breakfasts are still providing you with optimum nutritional benefits, so thats where the Organic Maca, Cacao + Mesquite Superfood Powder came in! It was the perfect flavour to add to this dish and with some mixed through zucchini and pear, your going to set yourself for the perfect day!
Winter Warming Chocolate and Pear Buckwheat Porridge
Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, paleo!
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat kernels
- 1/2 cup Pressed Juices Almond Mylk
- 1/2 cup water (or more!)
- 1/4 cup zucchini
- 1/2 pear (diced)
- 3 tbsp Organic Maca, Cacao + Mesquite Superfood Powder
- In a small saucepan, bring the raw buckwheat to boil with water and Almond Mylk
- Once bubbling, reduce heat and continue to stir on a low heat for 5-10 minutes (note: add more water/Almond Mylk if it begins to dry out, you want plenty of liquid for the buckwheat to soak up)
- Add zucchini, pear and Superfood Powder and continue to cook until all ingredients are soft (including the buckwheat)
- You will know its ready when the buckwheat is able to be eaten without crunching in your mouth, it will take around 15-20 minutes to get to this stage
- Serve up with fresh slices of pear and a sprinkle of Superfood Powder!
You can read more about the Superfood Range at: http://www.isowhey.com.au/products/wholefoods-superfood#ixzz3ZssN0nmO