After visiting for my first facial and being immersed in Natalia’s knowledge of organic skin care, I knew I just had to feature her on Feature Fridays for you all to learn something amazing!
Well, EATING well goes hand in hand with organic skin care! It is SO important to nourish our bodies from the outside in AND from the inside out. With our skin being our largest organ, it’s clear that imbalances and nutritional issues are going to show most obviously on the outside – which is obviosly the area we LEAST want it to be shown.
That’s why Natalie ca help you – she can work her magic in the salon with cacao masks, infused essential oils and emulsifying cleaners and then recommend you the best products for YOUR SKIN. She uses only organic and hand picked items for her salon and NOW – her WEBSITE TOO!
Be sure to scroll to the bottom to find your exclusive discount code for the store! But for now, i’ll let Natalie share her story AND answer your questions!
- What is Kindred Toxin Free Facials?
A facial studio, owned and operated by ME . I have 15 years experience in Skin care ( yes, as in all the toxic stuff) … But After 13 years in traditional beauty, there came a point where I could no longer go on. I needed to take full responsibility for the message I was sending about beauty and for what I was putting on client’s skin. I start work each day excited to educate my clients that there’s another way and that a bathroom full of products doesn’t equal beautiful skin!” – Natalie Sellers, Founder, Kindred Toxin Free Facial Studio.
KIND Beauty is the Ethos at KINDRED TOXIN FREE face and body. B E I N G KIND to yourself by allowing yourself the space to re connect and be taken care of through facials (I call them RITUALS)
* KIND to the environment, using Eco friendly, chemical free products that are good for your skin and the environment.
* KIND to Animals, with a strong stance against animal testing, and Vegan facial options ( honey/no honey)
* KIND to others. Giving back is very important and part of KINDRED. $1 from every organic and toxin free facial is donated to help http://joininghands.com.au give back to Brisbanes homeless and vulnerable youth.
- What did you do before Kindred?
I started out as a traditional beauty therapist and managed various Spas and salons across Aus and NZ until I created Kindred Toxin Free Facials in May 2014. My whole background (13 years) was based on external results, I didn’t even understand, or know, that what I was putting on people COULD possibly have side effects….until I started my own research after getting very sick with adrenal and eventually chronic fatigue. You know saying ‘when you know better, you do better’.
- What made you choose organic?
I had actually started using oils before I even understood about toxins, simply based on vanity! They WORKED. Why would I want the synethic version of vitamins A, C and E when I could have the real ones? Once I started educating myself, it made sense. Getting sick was a catalyst for wanting to be the happiest, healthiest version of myself . I NEVER want to feel like that again. Aside from vanity – now I want the purest, most potent and safest products for myself and for my clients. Organic products (especially when they are hand crafted and small batch like the brands I stock) have an integrity you can feel and trust when you use them and because they are so potent, I get great results for clients!
- What are your favourite organic brands?
Erica Brooke – she’s a brissy based babe her ultra light day cream is hands down THE BEST moisturiser for Brisbane weather, it took her years to formulate it for our humid weather. It literally walks out the door!
Miskin organics (QLD again) her oil cleanser and potent oil elixirs are pretty special. You only need one pump!
The Little Alchemist – you have probably seen her GLOW mask all over insta if you follow organic products. The ingredient list on that mask blows my mind. It’s a facial in a jar.
Metta – Anca is amazing (so is her body butter) but she is the person who inspired me to become a business that GIVES BACK. She gives 50% of her profits back to charities.
I’m always on the lookout for amazing new brands (I tried and used all of these for over 6 months each before I chose to use them in my studio) and when something comes along, I will be the first to jump all over it and tell YOU about it x
- What’toxins’ should we avoid?
I always suggest that people do their own research on this one, to empower themselves to make choices that feel right for THEM – remembering that even some natural essential oils MAY be a toxin to SOME people. I’m not into scare tactics and I am a normal person who does that best she can at the time too … It took me 3 years to get rid of all my ‘toxic’ products!
The way I educated myself to start off with was by reading
* No more dirty looks http://www.amazon.com/More-Dirty-Looks-Products-Cosmetics/dp/0738213969
* David suzuki the dirty dozen (yes, skin care has it’s own dirty dozen) http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxics/dirty-dozen-cosmetic-chemicals/
From this I personally decided to get rid of any products with Petrolatum, Dibutyl phthalate, Sodium laurel sulphate, Toluene, Triclosan, Parabens, Artificial dyes and coal tar, and basically anything you can’t understand, like what is BHA and BHT??
Another big one is Fragrance – it’s not what you think, the single ingredient “fragrance” or “parfum” can actually contain up to 500 other ingredients, many of which are petroleum byproducts.
- How do I combat hormonal acne or acne due to PCOS?
* plus reduce scarring and hydrate my dry skin
I work side by side with various naturopaths and accupunturists to ensure we work with a client from the inside out (nutritional bliss and Shen therapies) . Externally, we are wanting to reduce inflammation so I love honey based products that are anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and anti microbial (raw honey and manuka honey are excellent examples of this) and natural clay based masks which draw out impurities/excess oils without being aggressive (stay away from harsh exfoliants too, using a bamboo facial towel that is antibacertial gives a great light exfoliant). To balance the skin look for products with hemp seed oil and borage seed oil, again these are antibacterial without stripping or drying out the skin and extremly healing (they also help with any scarring!). Don’t be scared of oils, even when you are oily. Getting the right blend (and using dryer oils!) Can be life changing!
- Faves for acne
– Honey cream cleanser (you can use this as a mask also)
– GLOW mask ( full of enzymes, nutrients and clays to draw out impurities)
Use them together to help combat hormonal acne.
– BALACE oil elixir (use at night to help heal scarring and breakouts and rebalance extra oil)
* microdermabrasion when the acne is inactive is also great for reducing the scarring. Using diamond head microdermabrasion alongside oils and clays gives great results (which is great for DRY skin, that has scarring from acne) It’s about getting the right balance with it all.
- Can drinking too much coffee be bad for you skin?
I LOVE coffee… One a day, plus 3 litres of water is fine (preferably organic with cold pressed almond milk) . But sadly, too much coffee could trigger acne. This is due to coffee magnifying your body stress response (and in turn make your body pump out insulin). Too much Insulin can create excess oil/sebum. It also starts over production of new cells (meaning your pores are more likely to get clogged) and increases your body inflammation levels (making your acne even more red!). Also if you are dairy/lactose intolerant and drinking that much milk (and sometimes sugar?) It may also contribute to that inflammation. Lastly, coffee can interfere with the absorption of essential minerals from all that amazing food we are eating! In particular zinc, selenium and iron which we need to glowing skin. So try to stick to organic teas and load of water …
- What are the best vegan make up brands?
- There are plenty of vegan make up brands around, but some of them are not always toxin free ( by my standards anyway) I love and use:
- Innika ( great eye liners and blush)
- RMS ( uncover is a fabulous
- Ere perez (mascara)
- Eco tools for all your brushes
- LA MAV bb cream is pretty amazing for a light coverage (a bit heavier than a tinted moisturiser but lighter than a foundation) has SPF too!
- Antipodes mineral foundation ( it’s $40!!) And amazing. You can build this one from light to a full coverage. I sell this one in my studio and people can try it after their treatments.
And your discount code to help you afford all the amazing-ness Natalie speaks of is ‘KB20OFF’ – $20 off all orders over $100.
All orders over $150 get free courier too! Check out the full range of products & Rituals offered at www.Kindredtoxinfreefacials.com.au
1/122 Lytton Rd, Bulimba QLD 4171, Australia (Google Map)x